Monday, May 6, 2013

I've lost my son

I've lost my son. And it feels awesome.

Obviously I didn't really lose RJ. I did, however, recently lose 34 pounds which is the weight equivalent of my 2.5 year old son.

If I stand on the scale with Ryan, I'd weight exactly what I weighed on New Year's Eve 2012 (5 months ago).

It was a picture taken on New Year's Eve that prompted my weight loss. I subsequently deleted the picture, 'else I'd show you now. Although it was a very blurry and poorly lit cell phone picture, my excessive weight still shown through. It was awful. It was the heaviest I'd ever weighed (non-pregnant).


Before I resigned from my job in Nov 2011, I had lost about 20 lbs. Mostly it was stress related weight loss, but I did consciously watch what I ate. A year later, I added on the 20 lbs and some. Ugh. I looked and felt horrible.

In 2013, I've lost 34 pounds so far. My goal, if you'll recall, was 15 pounds.



I kept the weight loss a secret until I had reached 25 lbs. To be honest, many didn't people even notice the first 25 lbs. I mean, a few people commented here and there, but it wasn't until I hit the 30 lbs mark a few weeks ago that it became more noticeable.

I've lost the weight entirely through calorie counting and eating healthier. I use MyFitnessPal App to track my calories. We eat a vegetarian dinner at least once/week. We eat MUCH smaller portions. I didn't start out making healthier meals; I just made and ate smaller portions of the same food we've always eaten. After dropping a few pounds, I got encouraged and then began making more of an effort to make healthier meals (enter Pinterest).

I keep all of my recipes on Evernote. You can view my notebook here. If you type "light" or "healthy" into the search box, recipes with those labels should appear. Most of the recipes have the nutrition info at the end of the recipe.


Some of our recent favorites include Creamy Tortellini with Spinach, Quinoa Salad, Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms, and Spinach salad.

For lunch, we eat at home 4 days/week (we meet hubs for lunch on Fridays) and I'll have a lean cuisine panini, lean cuisine cheese ravioli, salad, or smoothie. I try to keep lunch less than 350 calories.

I used to drink Dr. Pepper and Sweet Tea with meals. Now I don't drink any soda. I carry a water bottle with me and drink water with meals, even when we eat out.

I eat Dairy Queen, sometimes several times a week. But, now I order the kiddie sized treats rather than the medium sized.

I've lost significant weight twice before, but this time feels different. We haven't drastically altered our lifestyles to the point where we feel we're "almost there" and then can eat "normally" again. THIS feels normal. This feels healthy.

Now that I'm over the 30 lb mark, I've started adding exercise. We walk/jog 1-2 times/week. I try burning at least 150 calories.

I don't really enjoy running, but sometimes it's the easier thing to do. Strap on the shoes and get out there. I've got a Garmin Forerunner so I can just go. No planning ahead required.

I really want to weight train so I'm putting together a program for that. Weight training (at least in my mind) takes planning. I don't feel like I can just pick up weights and go. I probably could, but for some reason it just seems more complicated. Weight training is really what shapes the body, though, so I really want to start a consistent program.

I'm not sure what's so different this time around, but something definitely is different. Maybe it's because, for the first time, I've prayed about it? I've never prayed about weight loss before, but a comment a friend made about not being able to go at things alone really stuck with me. So I handed it over to God and asked for his help.

Thirty four pounds later, I'm glad I did.

I don't really have a goal weight. Maybe I should. But for now, I'm just trying to keep this as a no pressure, go at my own pace, take it one day at a time rate. And it's working.

A few weeks ago I bought some new jeans. They were one size smaller and fit great. The other day, I could pull them off without unzipping them. They're already almost too big. It's ridic. Fabulously ridic.

So, you'll have to pardon me (or hide me, whichever) when I start posting more pics of myself on FB. You see, for years, I avoided posting pics of myself. No one should be subjected to my bloated, triple chinned photos. But now, those single chin pics are making more of an appearance.

One chin, people. ONE chin!

5 comments: